Looking after yourself and others
Whether you’re heading out for a day on the water or staying overnight, it’s important to take precautions to keep yourself and others safe.
Tips to keep you safe
- In the case of emergency, always tell someone where you are going and what time you will be back home.
- Always assess a new campsite for hazards.
- Actively supervise children around water and create a “child safe area” to isolate children from water sources.
- Take care of slippery or uneven surfaces around or in the waterway.
- Report illegal dumping, antisocial behaviour and illegal fishing activity to the relevant authorities by calling 13FISH (13 34 74).
- Keep informed of changing weather conditions and bushfire risk.
Tips to keep you informed
- Know your legal obligations that apply to recreational use of Crown water frontages.
- Keep informed on changing weather conditions and bushfire risk.
- Keep informed on changing weather conditions and bushfire risk via Vic Emergency website.
- Be aware of nearby emergency services and note mobile phone black spots.
Apps to download
- Download the Vic Emergency app via Apple App Store
- Download the Vic Emergency app via Google Play Store
Vic Fishing by the Victorian Fisheries Authority
- Download the Victorian Fisheries Authority’s Vic Fishing App via Apple App Store
- Download the Victorian Fisheries Authority’s Vic Fishing App via Google Play Store